Damning letter implores Keir Starmer to intervene – or face complaints to EHRC and Electoral Commission
Three Leicester councillors have accused the Labour party of excluding women, Muslims and whole branches in order to rig its selection process to prevent the city’s mayor facing a selection battle.
A letter from the councillors to Keir Starmer, obtained by Skwawkbox, says that in a ‘shambolic’, ‘Islamophobic’ and ‘racist’ selection process local Labour employees:
- excluded Muslims from selection votes by holding the votes during Ramadan, in a city with a high proportion of Asian residents in the UK, including in wards with some of the largest Muslim populations in the city
- disadvantaged women in the selection process
- cancelled or suspended meetings of branches likely to vote in favour of a selection contest, including one only an hour before the meeting was due to start
- declared a meeting of the party’s local government committee ‘null and void’ to prevent the party’s preferred committee chair being defeated, yet allowed the ‘procedures secretary’ – a former employee of the mayor and until recently an employee of right-wing Labour MP Jon Ashworth – selected at the void meeting to exercise the role
- ignored and dismissing complaints about the abuses of democracy and procedure
- withholding details of vote tallies from members
The letter concludes by stating bluntly the Islamophobia, racism and sexism – with an implied warning to Starmer that if he fails to act, the complainants will refer the matter to the Electoral Commission and the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC):
These concerns are genuine. The era of “fixing” results in the Labour Party should be a thing of the past. Asian members of the party are being stopped from attending meetings. Meetings are being cancelled if there is a perception that they will vote in favour of an open selection. There are elements of Islamaphobia [sic], racism and old fashion manipulation. Women have been excluded from all of these processes and this needs to change.
Please will you intervene to pause the process, investigate these complaints and allow the remaining branches to vote as a matter of urgency?
Let’s deal with this internally and not let us have to rely on the EHRC or the Electoral Commission to conduct an inquiry. Let’s do this ourselves.
Leicester Labour has been embroiled in other controversies recently, including allowing disgraced bully and would-be cocaine-procurer and former MP Keith Vaz to run its local election campaigns – to disastrous effect.
The national party’s right-wing regime under Keir Starmer has also been hammered for rampant Islamophobia and other forms of racism, including anti-Gypsy bigotry and the targeted persecution of left-wing Jews.
SKWAWKBOX needs your help. The site is provided free of charge but depends on the support of its readers to be viable. If you’d like to help it keep revealing the news as it is and not what the Establishment wants you to hear – and can afford to without hardship – please click here to arrange a one-off or modest monthly donation via PayPal or here to set up a monthly donation via GoCardless (SKWAWKBOX will contact you to confirm the GoCardless amount). Thanks for your solidarity so SKWAWKBOX can keep doing its job.
If you wish to republish this post for non-commercial use, you are welcome to do so – see here for more.