Rabbi: UOHC did not tell Jewish Chronicle rabbis’ pro-Corbyn letter was ‘fake news’

400px-UOHC

Earlier this month, the SKWAWKBOX revealed that the Jewish Chronicle (JC) had quietly amended its claim that a letter supporting Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn and signed by twenty-nine leading Orthodox rabbis, which had been published on this blog, was fake.

This blog then revealed that conclusive evidence of the letter’s authenticity had been in the JC’s possession days before it eventually admitted publicly to having it, only after a challenge by the SKWAWKBOX.

The JC’s original claim that the letter was fake was based, in part, on a supposed comment by the Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregations (UOHC) – the organisation to which the rabbis belong – that the letter was ‘fake news’

However, according to a leading official of the UOHC, this is not what he told the Jewish Chronicle.

The SKWAWKBOX has seen an email sent to a large number of Charedi (Orthodox) recipients – the board of the UOHC – by a well-known Charedi rabbi who had spoken to the ‘safra d’dayna’ (secretary) of the UOHC to clarify the situation. That email informed them what the secretary, also a rabbi, had said about his discussion with the JC.

According to the secretary, he had informed the newspaper that the letter was not an “official notice of the [UOHC] rabbinate” – as indeed was the case, since the rabbis signed on their own behalf rather than as a body – but that he made no comment at all about its authenticity.

The SKWAWKBOX wrote on Wednesday to the editor of the JC:

I have information indicating that the UOHC did not call the rabbis’ letter about Jeremy Corbyn fake news but simply said it was not an official statement by the organisation – understandably, as the rabbis were signing on their own behalf.

Why did the JC state that the UOHC had described the letter as ‘fake news’?

No response has been received.

The SKWAWKBOX needs your support. This blog is provided free of charge but depends on the generosity of its readers to be viable. If you can afford to, please click here to arrange a one-off or modest monthly donation via PayPal. Thanks for your solidarity so this blog can keep bringing you information the Establishment would prefer you not to know about.

If you wish to reblog this post for non-commercial use, you are welcome to do so – see here for more.

9 responses to “Rabbi: UOHC did not tell Jewish Chronicle rabbis’ pro-Corbyn letter was ‘fake news’

  1. Skwawkbox, you do not seem to get many responses to the enquiries you make. How very ignorantly rude of them!

  2. Don’t know if this is genuine but Times of Israel has story that several leading rabbis are asking for a vote of no confidence in the Vice President of the Board of Deputies because of remarks she made regarding Israels nation state legislation. They are stating she contravened guidelines in the IHRA and her remarks are therefore Anti Semitic.One of the principal movers in this is the rabbi from the Redbridge Synagogue which covers the constituency of Gapes and Streeting

    • Board of deputies are 20% of extremists pro Israel Jews the other 80% have no opinion on Israel

  3. Tbh steve if Israel didn’t contravene international law its about time b of d and other groups they wouldn’t get criticism don’t do the crime if you don’t want to do the time
    Personally im getting pissed off hearing about AS

  4. Pingback: Lansman, Momentum: Jewish Chronicle claims ‘complete and utter bollocks’ | The SKWAWKBOX·

  5. Pingback: Lansman, Momentum: Jewish Chronicle claims ‘complete and utter bollocks’ | RedZine·

  6. Pingback: Orthodox union u-turns to support maligned activist | The SKWAWKBOX·

  7. Pingback: Orthodox union u-turns to support maligned activist | RedZine·

Leave a Reply