Sedgefield MP Phil Wilson – a so-called ‘centrist’ Labour MP and vocal critic of party leader Jeremy Corbyn – was one of the few Labour MPs to reduce his majority in last year’s general election. Like others who saw reduced majorities, he had campaigned by ‘disowning‘ Corbyn.
Now Wilson has organised a bizarre fundraising event in his constituency featuring Tony Blair.
The event is bizarre not only because Blair – who preceded Wilson as Sedgefield MP – is widely held in contempt among members and locals say they were not consulted before invitations were sent out.
Even more noteworthy are the facts that:
- the invitations carry no mention of what funds are being raised for
- there is no mention of the Labour Party on the invitation and
- the contact email provided is a gmail address and not a Labour one
This has led to speculation locally and at Labour HQ that the event is raising funds for non-Labour purposes, with some even wondering whether it might possibly be to raise funds and/or sound out support for the mooted ‘new centrist party’ that the SKWAWKBOX first flagged is being planned by a dozen or so right-wing Labour MPs, possibly together with europhile Tories and the LibDems.
The SKWAWKBOX emailed Phil Wilson and his assistant to ask:
Mr Wilson has sent out invitations to a fundraiser featuring Tony Blair. Please provide comment on the questions below by return:
- Sedgefield constituents say they weren’t consulted about this. Why?
- The invitations do not say what the funds are being raised for. What is the cause that will benefit?
- The invitation does not mention the Labour Party. Why?
- The invitation invites would-be purchasers to contact a gmail address rather than a Labour one. Why?
- The invitation says the names of all attendees must be disclosed in advance. Why?
- What will Mr Blair’s topic(s) be?
No response has been received.
The SKWAWKBOX needs your support. This blog is provided free of charge but depends on the generosity of its readers to be viable. If you can afford to, please click here to arrange a one-off or modest monthly donation via PayPal. Thanks for your solidarity so this blog can keep bringing you information the Establishment would prefer you not to know about.
If you wish to reblog this post for non-commercial use, you are welcome to do so – see here for more.