CLP agrees damning statement
Labour members in Tottenham have met to agree a statement slamming their MP, David Lammy, and his boss Keir Starmer for their betrayal of working people in his repudiation of striking workers last month.
The statement, which condemns the contempt shown by Lammy and the Labour party for working people fighting to protect their jobs and pay and the safety of the people who rely on their services and demands a u-turn from Lammy and Starmer, was passed overwhelmingly, by 36 votes to just 3:
Workers’ Industrial Action and the conduct of our MP
This GC of Tottenham Labour Party:
Reaffirms the positions taken in the motion ‘Support for workers taking strike action’ passed
at our June 2022 GC (see below)*;
• that the ‘cost of living crisis’, eroding workers’ pay and increasing poverty, is a further
transfer of income and resources from the majority to the corporations and the ultra rich, and
is also being used to erode workers’ hard won working conditions;
• the necessity of the organisation and use of strike and other industrial action by workers in
seeking to protect their pay and conditions;
• the many sections of workers taking or preparing for strike action, so solidarity and the
attitude of the Labour Party and its representatives will become even more relevant;
• the public statements made by our MP David Lammy, including accusing people showing
solidarity by attending picket lines of “posturing”, claiming that “a serious party of
government doesn’t join picket lines”, and conveying the threat that “the Chief Whip will be
speaking to” Labour MPs who take part in trade union picket lines;
• David Lammy’s condemnation of BA workers for merely seeking a restoration of their
previously cut wages, in a comment which was observed by the Unite General Secretary to
be “a direct attack on British Airways workers”, as “supporting bad bosses” and “a new low
for Labour”. We note that our MP has had to apologise for that specific remark;
• our Party having been formed to represent the trade unions and politically defend workers’
living standards, conditions and rights, the position of the leadership, as exemplified by
David Lammy, is negating the purpose of the Labour Party.
This GC of Tottenham Labour Party therefore:
• Censures our MP David Lammy for his statements which undermine workers in struggle
and disparage the expression of solidarity with them.
• Affirms that Tottenham CLP will continue to express its solidarity with workers defending
(and where possible seeking to improve) their living standards and conditions, including by
attendance at trade union picket lines as well as by other appropriate means.
Motion passed at June 2022 GC:
Support for workers taking strike action
• Recalls that the Labour Party was founded by the trade unions, in order to give a political
voice to the interests of working class people.
• Condemns the reported instruction from Sir Keir Starmer that all Labour MPs in shadow
cabinet, ministerial or PPSs must not to attend RMT picket lines during the rail and
• Urges our MP David Lammy to show support for striking workers in Tottenham by attending
an RMT picket line in the constituency
• Blames the Tory government for refusing to give Network Rail, the Train Operating
Companies, TfL and other rail employers the scope to reach a negotiated settlement to the
• Gives full support and solidarity to RMT members in taking strike action in the present
dispute over jobs, pay, pensions and safety, and
• Calls on the Labour leadership to back rail and underground workers and all other groups of
workers taking industrial action to secure a fair deal from their employers.
SKWAWKBOX needs your help. The site is provided free of charge but depends on the support of its readers to be viable. If you’d like to help it keep revealing the news as it is and not what the Establishment wants you to hear – and can afford to without hardship – please click here to arrange a one-off or modest monthly donation via PayPal or here to set up a monthly donation via GoCardless (SKWAWKBOX will contact you to confirm the GoCardless amount). Thanks for your solidarity so SKWAWKBOX can keep doing its job.
If you wish to republish this post for non-commercial use, you are welcome to do so – see here for more.