Bristol West carried motion undiluted in spite of right-wing attempts to pack meeting
Bristol West constituency Labour party (CLP) has passed a searing motion condemning unequivocally the suspension of Jeremy Corbyn. The former Labour leader was suspended late last month for comments on the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) report that the report said he had a legally-protected right to make.
This CLP notes:
1. That the Labour Party leadership has suspended Jeremy Corbyn MP from the party and removed the parliamentary whip, ostensibly due to his statement regarding the EHRC’s report on antisemitism in the Labour Party.
2. A number of public figures, including but not limited to the leader of the party, the deputy leader of the party, and the Socialist Campaign Group have issued public statements on the suspension, and that the SCG has called for re-instatement, yet the general secretary has nevertheless ordered that CLPs cannot do the same.
This CLP believes:
3. That Jeremy Corbyn MP is a socialist and life-long fighter against racism inside and outside the Labour Party
4. That his suspension is a politically motivated attack against the left of the Labour Party by the leadership.
This CLP resolves:
5. To condemn Jeremy Corbyn’s suspension and demand his reinstatement to the party.
6. To oppose any and all politically motivated disciplinary actions against the left by the leadership.
7. To send the contents of this motion to the Leader’s Office and the NEC.
8. That the voting numbers for, against or abstain of any motions will be included with any messages sent within the Labour Party.
The Labour right had attempted to pack the meeting to defeat the motion, but even attempts to amend and weaken it were roundly defeated.
Labour’s hierarchy has banned CLPs from debating or voting on Corbyn’s suspension or the EHRC report and some regional directors have blocked attempts to do so. It seems Bristol West members hold their democracy and their former party leader in too high a regard to toe the line.
The SKWAWKBOX needs your help. The site is provided free of charge but depends on the support of its readers to be viable. If you can afford to, please click here to arrange a one-off or modest monthly donation via PayPal or here to set up a monthly donation via GoCardless (SKWAWKBOX will contact you to confirm the GoCardless amount). Thanks for your solidarity so SKWAWKBOX can keep bringing you information the Establishment would prefer you not to know about.
If you wish to republish this post for non-commercial use, you are welcome to do so – see here for more.