Report confirms SKWAWKBOX’s exclusive revelations that government policy was – and still is – to send COVID-infected elderly people into care homes and to deny hospital treatment to older sufferers to ‘protect the NHS’
An explosive report by Amnesty International has destroyed the Matt Hancock’s claim that the Tories ‘threw a protective ring’ around care homes during the first wave of the coronavirus pandemic.
The report describes:
- the huge number of deaths caused by COVID-19 in care homes – well over 18,000 at the very least, but in reality almost 30,000 based on ‘excess’ deaths attributable to likely undiagnosed cases
- breach of residents’ human rights by the government’s behaviour
- the fact that the government knowingly put the people most at risk of the worst effects of the virus in the firing line
But it goes further – in many cases confirming information first revealed exclusively by the SKWAWKBOX, for example:
- the fact that returning known-infected patients back to care homes on a huge scale was government policy (it still is, despite claims to have changed it)
- the government telling care homes not to use PPE (personal protective equipment) with asymptomatic infected patients
- blanket ‘do not resuscitate’ orders on elderly residents without regard for their or their family’s wishes
- ‘protected the NHS’ by denying treatment to older and more vulnerable sufferers – condemning thousands to a hideous death – ‘protection’ that the Tories consistently boasted about
The report also details multiple ways in which government policies denied care home residents their human rights and put them at risk of inhumane treatment.
So grievous and discriminatory were these policy decisions by the Tories that the report concludes – and says so in its title – that residents were treated as ‘expendable’. The SKWAWKBOX thinks that does not go far enough.
The Tories made these choices fully aware and warned that they would be deadly to huge numbers of people – and they did so to hide the full scale of the pandemic and to allow them ‘PR’ about ‘protection’ of the NHS achieved by sentencing people to painful and distressing deaths.
That’s geriatricide – the murder of our old and vulnerable.
Download the full report here.
The SKWAWKBOX needs your help. The site is provided free of charge but depends on the support of its readers to be viable. If you can afford to, please click here to arrange a one-off or modest monthly donation via PayPal or here to set up a monthly donation via GoCardless (SKWAWKBOX will contact you to confirm the GoCardless amount). Thanks for your solidarity so SKWAWKBOX can keep bringing you information the Establishment would prefer you not to know about.
If you wish to republish this post for non-commercial use, you are welcome to do so – see here for more.