Must-watch video exposes the real nature of the Labour right
As the SKWAWKBOX exclusively flagged before the event, Yvonne Davies, the only female council leader in the West Midlands, has just now resigned from her role – during a live broadcast of Sandwell Council’s cabinet meeting.
Ms Davies has long been hounded by the Labour right. She went on the record in 2018 to accuse former local MP Tom Watson of ‘ma[king] my life a misery‘.
She had already been exonerated by the party once after right-wingers in the right’s heartland attempted to stitch her up, senior councillors accused last year by local councillors of falsifying the minutes of a council meeting to incriminate her and the former council leader and others accused of forcing her out of the council chamber, events that the Labour group’s then-chief whip did not deny.
In an explosive resignation statement, Ms Davies accused Labour’s so-called ‘moderates’ of:
- hypocrisy in hounding her when Labour leader Keir Starmer has just taken no action against a front-bench MP accused of antisemitism
- covering up racism, misogyny and corruption
- lying in court
- misuse of public funds for political purposes
- a string of false accusations against fellow councillors for political purposes
- planning a purge of left-wing councillors so the right can re-take control of the council
- acting to try to prevent a scandal of the right-wing’s spending on the ‘Wragge report’ into standards
It was an astonishing, dignified, damning and utterly compelling speech, well worth watching to the very end:
Shame on the Labour right, who has flung baseless accusations while abounding in the very things of which they accuse others.
Things must change. Labour must change.
The SKWAWKBOX needs your support. This site is provided free of charge but depends on the generosity of its readers to be viable. If you can afford to, please click here to arrange a one-off or modest monthly donation via PayPal or here for a monthly donation via GoCardless. Thanks for your solidarity so this blog can keep bringing you information the Establishment would prefer you not to know about.
If you wish to reblog this post for non-commercial use, you are welcome to do so – see here for more.