Westminster’s take-over of national parties has apparently now progressed to Keir Starmer claiming to be Mark Drakeford and bringing Scottish Labour down to Wales
Keir Starmer’s desperation to get votes has led to a screw-up of epic proportions – and that’s its most charitable interpretation – in Wales. Labour has been running a campaign to get supporters to register to vote and to vote by post, but the campaign has heaped just about every imaginable insult on Welsh people, Welsh Labour members and the Welsh party’s leadership.
Those hardy few who click through to receive the form Starmer – and it is Starmer – is asking them to fill in receive the following canine breakfast:
In just the cover page of the form – in this instance sent to left-winger Morgan Paulett – Labour manages to:
- miss out a whole word from the Welsh expression meaning ‘thank you’
- put a picture of Keir Starmer in the header while claiming it’s Welsh leader Mark Drakeford
- put Starmer’s signature above Drakeford’ name
- put an arrow pointing to a return address that isn’t there, while telling respondents to rotate the letter so it shows in an envelope window
- put the Scottish Labour logo in the footer of a Welsh Labour letter
- talk about Scottish party the SNP as a ‘local’ issue
- promise to fight for ‘a stronger, socially just Scotland’
- say that ‘Nicola Sturgeon isn’t Scotland’ – which will be of great interest to Welsh people. Not
The letter, unsurprisingly, has caused outrage among Welsh members – and was apparently finally removed from Labour’s website only late on Wednesday evening.
Mark Drakeford’s thoughts on the matter are not known, but given Starmer’s recent interference to remove Scottish Labour leader Richard Leonard at the behest of rich donors, he might be a little uneasy.
Labour was not available for comment or to name the agency it used for the document.
(And no, this is not an April Fool’s joke.)
The SKWAWKBOX needs your help. The site is provided free of charge but depends on the support of its readers to be viable. If you can afford to without hardship, please click here to arrange a one-off or modest monthly donation via PayPal or here to set up a monthly donation via GoCardless (SKWAWKBOX will contact you to confirm the GoCardless amount). Thanks for your solidarity so SKWAWKBOX can keep bringing you information the Establishment would prefer you not to know about.
If you wish to republish this post for non-commercial use, you are welcome to do so – see here for more.