On Friday night, members of Louth and Horncastle constituency Labour party (CLP) joined the growing list of CLPs voting no confidence in party leader Keir Starmer and acting general secretary David Evans. Members also condemned attempts to restrict their freedom of speech – which was upheld by the recent EHRC report – passing the following by a large majority:
- This CLP welcomes the news that Jeremy Corbyn MP has been reinstated as a Member of the Labour Party and stands in solidarity with him. The CLP calls upon Nicholas Brown (Labour Party – Chief Whip to House of Commons) to formally reinstate the Party Whip to Jeremy Corbyn.
- This CLP has no confidence in Sir Keir Starmer as Leader, or in David Evans as General Secretary of the Labour Party.
- This CLP deplores the attempt by the General Secretary to prevent the exercise of free speech and discussion by CLPs, which has no basis in Labour Party rules; and calls for an investigation into the suppression of freedom of speech, how the instruction was disseminated and under what authority.
- The CLP requests that Sir Keir Starmer formally apologise to Jeremy Corbyn MP for his treatment over the last few weeks and begins to work with the Left to restabilise the Party.
- This CLP believes that any disciplinary case against a Labour MP or member must be heard under a properly constituted independent disciplinary process, free from political interference or influence from the Leader’s office, the office of the General Secretary, or the Chief Whip.
The vote went through in spite of escalating attempts by the party’s hierarchy to prevent members having their say – including declaring solidarity with Corbyn to be racist and an order from Evans that motions of no confidence in himself are not legitimate CLP business.
The SKWAWKBOX needs your help. The site is provided free of charge but depends on the support of its readers to be viable. If you can afford to, please click here to arrange a one-off or modest monthly donation via PayPal or here to set up a monthly donation via GoCardless (SKWAWKBOX will contact you to confirm the GoCardless amount). Thanks for your solidarity so SKWAWKBOX can keep bringing you information the Establishment would prefer you not to know about.
If you wish to republish this post for non-commercial use, you are welcome to do so – see here for more.