I was asked to do a shorter version of an earlier post on this topic. Here it is.
As the rules currently stand, the far-too-numerous right-wing Labour MPs/MEPs can realistically block any left-wing candidate from being able to stand in any future leadership election. The way the rules work requires a number of nominations that might well not be achievable for a genuine-Labour MP – given the current proportion of right-wing members of the parliamentary Labour party.
Even though that candidate would win by a landslide among the 500,000+ Labour members if they did make it onto the ballot.
The McDonnell Amendment aims to change that by reducing the nominations threshold so that it should always be possible to give the members at least one left-wing candidate they would want to support, instead of a ‘pick your shade of blue‘ list.
If you are a Labour member or supporter who thinks Labour needs to be an alternative to the Tory party and not just a paler version of it, then the McDonnell Amendment is absolutely vital to you.
But right-wing MPs officials are prepared to go to any lengths to defeat it, so desperate are they to prevent future left-wing leadership candidates. So the Left needs to act assertively and decisively in every legitimate way ro counter it.
Here is a short list of things you need to do about it:
- Everyone who wants to secure the Left in Labour – contact your CLP today.
- Formally ask your CLP for specific details on when Conf Delegate nominations and selections are happening.
- Also ask how you go about nominating yourself if you fancy it. Good to know the process anyway whether you do or not.
- Ask how you will be able to find out in advance of delegate selection meetings what each delegate nominee thinks about key issues (ie are they for or against McDonnell amendment)
- Make sure you attend the delegate selection meeting and know in advance who is standing and how they will vote on the McDonnell amendment.
- If no response from CLP re your enquiry, let the SKWAWKBOX know and we will publicise to put pressure on those obstructing your democratic rights and enlist help in your area for you
- If you are a member of an affiliated union (ASLEF, BECTU, BFAWU, COMMUNITY, CWU, FBU, GMB, MU, NUM, TSSA, UCATT, UNISON, UNITE, USDAW), take the equivalent steps in your union branch and make sure that your union both sends its own good delegates and that your branch sends delegates to your local CLP(s) to help win the votes there for good CLP delegates
Failure to act will mean failure to win the amendment – and a choice of only Tory-lite ‘moderates’ whenever the next leadership election takes place.
The SKWAWKBOX is provided free of charge but depends on the generosity of its readers to be viable. If you found this information helpful and can afford to, please click here to arrange a one-off or modest monthly donation via PayPal. Thanks for your support so this blog can keep bringing you information the Establishment would prefer you not to know about.