Somerset Tory MP Rebecca Pow thinks we’ve never had it so good. She said so in the House of Commons this morning.
Ms Pow regaled MPs with a tale of how the grateful people of Taunton Deane tell her they’ve got more money in their pockets than ever, and how the Tories are responsible for this supposed prosperity.
Chancellor John McDonnell, gently but firmly, had to remind the out-of-touch Tory of the reality of life faced by huge numbers of people in this country – including millions of children in poverty, many of them in spite of having family members in work:
Original video by @EL4JC. Subtitled version by SKWAWKBOX
It’s not even as if Ms Pow’s own constituency contains no poverty. According to Taunton Deane Borough Council’s Health and Wellbeing strategy document:
- 14.6% of Taunton Deane households are in fuel poverty
- Taunton Deane has the highest number of young people not in education, employment or training in Somerset
- poor Taunton Deane residents have a life expectancy more than ten years lower than richer residents
- Taunton Deane contains areas that are in the bottom 5% in England for income, education and deprivation
- over 11% of Taunton Deane residents live in deprived areas
The people Ms Pow speaks to have ‘thousands’ more in their pockets than they’ve ever had. Apparently.
Perhaps she’s very choosy about the people she speaks to – or perhaps she’s simply staggeringly oblivious to the real lives of huge numbers of people suffering under Tory government.
Which makes her well suited to the party of Philip ‘I see no unemployed people’ Hammond.
The SKWAWKBOX needs your support. This blog is provided free of charge but depends on the generosity of its readers to be viable. If you can afford to, please click here to arrange a one-off or modest monthly donation via PayPal. Thanks for your solidarity so this blog can keep bringing you information the Establishment would prefer you not to know about.